Is Your Orange County Home or Business Storm Proof?
How storm proof is your Orange County, Calilfornia home or business? Since storms are a fact of life, every home and business owner needs to be protected. It’s very important to choose an insurance carrier and an insurance plan that is going to give you the protection you need.
Water damage restoration may be necessary after your home or business has been through a storm. The cost of this service is usually covered by your property insurance policy. Known and respected for the high quality and consistency of the restoration work we do, SERVPRO of Yorba Linda/ Brea has developed excellent relationships with most insurance carriers; many of these companies actually send us referral work on a regular basis. We want you to be prepared for calamities like these so we’ve developed this simple primer on property owner’s insurance policies for homes and businesses.
In Orange County, from Anaheim to Yorba Linda and everywhere in between, its up to each home and business owner to select the degree of coverage that may be needed. Most insurance policies will offer different levels and types of coverage. In our experience, one aspect of coverage that may be overlooked is loss of use (reimbursement of expenses that may be incurred if restoration requires the occupants to vacate for a number of days).
The most common events that are covered include:
- Fire and smoke
- Lightning strikes
- Windstorms and hail
- Vandalism and malicious mischief
- Damage from an aircraft, car or vehicle
- Falling objects
- Weight of ice, snow or sleet
- Water damage
- Image of lightning striking above homes.
Each policy contains various elements which determine the type of coverage in the policy. These include:
- Main structure – There is a base policy – the amount of money the insurance company will provide to repair or replace the structure – and riders – which add to the total available funds so that there is sufficient coverage when labor and materials extend beyond the base policy.
- Additional structures – These are additional structures, apart from the main structure, which are also on the same property. Examples could include a shed, boat house, barn, mother-in-law quarters, etc.
- Contents – This includes all personal belongings. However, very expensive items usually need to be covered with additional riders.
- Liability – Damage sustained to someone else’s property is covered here up to the stated policy limits. For instance, if a home has a pool that overflows and damages the structure of the next door neighbor’s yard, liability insurance could cover that expense.
- Loss of use – A home that is damaged beyond repair will require another dwelling for the family while repairs are made. The homeowner is reimbursed from this component.
A few other tips about insurance carriers
- Company reputation –High ratings are based on actual company performance in important categories, including claim handling. Low ratings indicate a significant number of customer complaints filed with the state insurance commissions.
- Customer service model – Central customer service offers basic support for the homeowner. This model is acceptable to some policyholders. Local agents offer guidance throughout the term of the policy and make recommendations to change coverage when events cause concern.
- Claims process – Rapid response following loss is essential for the homeowner. Experienced claims adjusters provide sufficient estimates to cover necessary repairs to the property. The claims record is in important consideration to prevent legal battles with the insurance company.
- Deductible – This is a ‘pay now/ pay later’ issue. High deductibles will reduce the annual premium paid for home insurance. Different deductibles will influence the annual premium significantly.
SERVPRO of Yorba Linda/ Brea has been restoring our customer’s homes and businesses for over eleven years. Our focus on urgency, integrity, cleanliness, knowledge, commitment to consistently excellent work, and our ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with our customers and colleagues has made us the #1 SERVPRO franchise in California! To read testimonials from our customers, click here. https://www.yelp.com/biz/SERVPRO-of-yorba-linda-brea-anaheim. Need storm damage restoration services NOW? Give us a call; 7614-701-0207.